Borrowing and Circulation
The Law Library is open to anyone in the community who needs to use the collection. Most material in the collection does not circulate; however, all materials may be used in the library. Circulation staff are available to help patrons locate materials, and answer questions about checkout policies, fines, and obtaining books and articles from other libraries.
Borrowing privileges are available to the following groups:
Faculty, students, and staff affiliated with Triangle Research Libraries universities (Duke, NCCU, and NCSU), UNC System schools, and North Carolina community colleges. These groups may use their school identification card to register for borrowing privileges.
Borrowing privileges for non-affiliated patrons (UNC Borrower’s Card):
- Borrowing privileges are also available to North Carolina residents, including attorneys and law professionals, with a UNC Borrower’s Card.
- For an annual fee of $25.00, outside borrowers are issued a non-affiliated library borrower’s card and may use this card to check out books at any of the UNC-Chapel Hill campus libraries.
- All fields of the borrower’s card application must be complete and signed by the borrower. All information is secured and only used for library purposes.
- During the first year, a new non-affiliated borrower who purchases a card is limited to a total of five books checked out at any one time for the first year they have the borrower’s card. After one year, the limit on the number of items checked out may be lifted when the card is renewed for a second year. A Borrower’s Card does not provide remote access to online materials.
- Non-affiliated borrowers may not check out reserve materials, study aids, CDs, or DVDs, but are welcomed to use these resources in the Law Library.
- Loan period for books from the general collection is 30 days.
Requirements for obtaining a UNC Borrower’s Card:
- A North Carolina driver’s license; or a valid picture ID along with a document containing a current N.C. address
- Applicants must be age 14 or older
- Applicants younger than 18 must submit a completed parental consent form
- A completed Borrower’s application
- A fee of $25, paid by cash or check
- All borrowers who are not affiliated with UNC Chapel Hill must supply their Social Security number, as specified in the North Carolina Setoff Debt Collection Act, §105A-3 (c)
UNC Borrower’s Cards can be obtained at the Davis Circulation Department. For more information on the UNC Borrower’s card, visit https://library.unc.edu/services/circulation/borrowers/.